Wild Finish Give Dickson Sweep Against Harpeth

For the second game in a row the Lady Cougars struggled offensively but pulled out the win 45-24 against regional rival Harpeth. Dickson crawled to a 6-4 lead in the first quarter. The second quarter started in a similar fashion. Maddie Pyrdum tied the game at six two minutes into the period. Kailey Rosenbaum and Ryann Roberts each went on a four point run to give Dickson the last eight points of the half and a 14-6 lead heading into the break.

After a long halftime talk, the Lady Cougars found a rhythm with Rosenbaum in the third quarter. Rosenbaum pounded the ball in the paint for 8 of Dickson’s 13 points in the third quarter. Despite the strong frame from Rosenbaum Harpeth managed to stick with the Lady Cougars by turning to their own post game. Pyrdum and Katelyn Staed tallied all 13 of the Lady Indians’ points in the quarter and helped keep Harpeth within striking distance. Much like the Beech game, Dickson wore Harpeth down in the final quarter. The offense exploded to start the quarter on a 9-0 run the put the game away and the defense held the Lady Indians to just five points in the last eight minutes.

Rosenbaum was the only Lady Cougar in double figures with a 19 point, 15 rebound, double-double to lead Dickson.

The Cougars had a much more dramatic come from behind win over the Indians on Saturday. Coach Jason Tigert used a lineup shuffle to try and provide a spark for his team early on. Spencer Cude and Noah Edmisson got their first starts of the season and Cude took advantage of the opportunity. Cude had the first four Cougar points but Harpeth went on a 7-0 run before Darian Burns found the cylinder for Dickson. Burns scored the final five points of the quarter and last seven for Dickson to give the Cougars an 11-10 lead heading into the second quarter. Harpeth put together a 14-2 run to build a 24-13 lead to start the second period. DJ Stacey and Trey Weidman salvaged the quarter and gave the Cougars a spark heading into the break. Stacey knocked down a long three pointer but it was Weidman’s defense that really rallied Dickson. After a Cougar turnover, Harpeth was ready to hold for the final shot of the half but Weidman stole a late pass and ran away from the Indians for a layup as time expired. The late run by Dickson cut the lead to 24-18.

Coach Tigert again used his roster in the second half to drum up some energy for his team. Cude, Jacob Murphree, Tez Coleman, Weidman, and Stacey received nearly all the second half minutes for the Cougars. The shuffle paid dividends right out of the gate for the orange and blue. With Harpeth on top 26-20, Murphree drilled a three pointer, and Weidman hit an layup before Stacey picked Jake Gibbs pocket and converted a three point play to put the Cougars on top 28-26 forcing a Harpeth timeout. Out of the timeout the teams swap lead before the Indians closed out the quarter on a 7-0 run. Trailing early in the fourth, the Cougars fought back to a five point deficit, 44-39. Harpeth answered again and bulged their lead to 10, 49-39 but Weidman responded for Dickson once again. With less than three minutes to go and trailing by ten, Weidman hit back to back layups off of Harpeth turnovers. Coleman followed his lead and turned a steal into a layup of his own to cut the lead to 49-45 with less than a minute to go. Off a timeout by Harpeth Garret Cox chose to jack up a corner three instead of forcing Dickson to foul him. On the play, Weidman skied for a block and force Cox to overshoot the rim, leading to a miss and a Dickson rebound. Coleman hit a jumper on the other end and cut the lead to two points. Stacey fouled on the ensuing possession and sent Gibbs to the line. He missed the front end of the one and one giving the Cougars a chance for the final shot. Out of a timeout, Coleman fell and rolled his ankle but kept the play alive. Dickson rotated the ball the to left wing and Stacey buried the three as time seemed to run out. Unfortunately, due to the Coleman injury, the officials stop the clock after the shot and added 1.2 seconds for Harpeth to get a look at a full court play. Leading 50-49, the Cougars could not afford a foul but had to defend a “Laettner” play. Harpeth had designed a very similar play but Cude knocked the ball into the air and prevented a last second shot, preserving the win.

Weidman led Dickson with 17 points and 6 steals. Stacey had a huge game as well with while playing most of the game in foul trouble. The Cougars finished the game on an 11-0 run.

Next up for the Cougars is Martin Luther King on Monday at 3:30 in Columbia on all the channels of the RFC Sports Network. The Lady Cougars are off until the Above the Rim Christmas Tournament on the 28th, they will take on Scotts Hill at 1pm.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.